Korkouna is located slightly above Chakaljek on a small esplanade obtaining a scope of horizontal views almost in all directions. The village of Iki-zoloukh is located about 2 km away.
The scattered historical remains in the village indicate that Korkouna had been inhabited since old times. Some ancient coins form the Middle Ages, fragments of potteries and argil jars had been found in the area. Unfortunately, most of these remains were ruined while farming and constructing the region. Some remains of firmly built walls are noticed on a hill on the western side of the village, which are thought to be the remains of a fortress. Some ancient Armenian currency, dated back to the times of the Armenian cilician kingdom which had ruled the region, had been found on the same hill alongside some other coins and potteries.
On a knoll on the south-eastern side of the village is located the chapel of St. Stephanos which was intact up until the beginning of the 19th century. The villagers still berry the departed members of their families around the remains of this chapel.
The resisdents of this village before the genocide were the families of the Chelebian, Khederian, Kerian, Apelian and Kakousian lineages. The Chelebians though are considered the first to dwell in Korkouna. The Kerbabian and the Kerian lineages in the village descend from the Khederian lineage. The forefather of the Apelians, Apel moved form Kessab to settle in Korkouna producing the Apelian-Bederian lineage.
On the 23rd of April 1909, Korkouna was invaded by the Turks who put the village to fire and destruction.
In 1915, more than one third of the villagers were killed during the genocide.
In 1947, 63 individuals repatriated from the village, particularly of the Chelebian family. 114 individuals remained in the village. At this specific period, foreigners started to settle in Korkouna establishing intimate relationship with the natives.
Today, the number of people increases in Korkouna during summer time where native Korkounatsies who live in different cities of Syria or Lebanon, return to their houses and properties. Some Armenian families from Aleppo obtain private villas in Korkouna.
The only active church in the village belongs to the Armenian evangelical community.
a-The Armenian evangelical school (1898-1915, 1930-1981)
The first structure of the school was found in 1903 next to the church building. The school had a nursery and elementary school obligations. After the return in 1922, the school was reopened as a division of the united national school of Kessab which remained active up until 1930. After this date, it shifted again to be active under the supervision of the evangelical church.
b-The united national school (1934-1939). It was a division of the national school of Kessab. After the Syria help Red Cross established a branch in the village, the branch took charge of the school.