Eeskouran – khayet
Eskuran has two quarters. One just at the bottom of the mount’s slope, the other few tens of meters further down next to the spring. Khayet is considered a quarter of Eskuran. This village is considered the first Armenian village inhabited in Kessab and it is famous for being traditionally abundant. The village was almost left empty after the dwellers moved to settle in Kessab. Eskuran was often prone to danger since it was very close to the Turkish village Ordou.
In 1909, the villagers along with the people in Khayet abandoned the village and escaped to Kessab. The first village to be destroyed and burnt by the Turks was Eskuran during the calamity.
In 1915, like all the people in the other villages, the dwellers of Eskuran and Khayet were deliberately deported towards the Syrian Desert. Only 50 people returned in 1920 which indicates that the three quarters of the villagers were killed. Some families never came back.
After the genocide survivors returned to Eskuran, the national union and the volunteered solders kept the village under severe surveillance to provide security.
In 1928, the first unpaved road linking Kessab to Ordou passed through Eskuran. But after 1939, this road was closed.
78 individuals repatriated to Armenia in 1947.
According to the census in 1955, Eskuran and Khayet consisted of 68 individuals.
The main families residing in this village are namely the families of the Atikian, Kilaghbian, Pentezian, Melkonian, Tanyelian, Nazarian, Soghmonian, Cholakian, Shekhougian and Antablian lineages.
Next to the public square of the village is situated the “geghetsig” sanctuary.
In 1939, after the Syrian new boarders were drawn, Kessab lost its traditional site of pilgrimage; Balloum which was allocated to the Turks. Therefore, Kessabtsies shifted the designated day of pilgrimage to meet the Monday of mother Mary’s assumption day in August, and they replaced Balloum with Eskuran.